Pho Viet – Pho with Brisket

2011/01/31

Pho Viet

On the Sunday before Pho Viet was set to open in Bend, the Wife was driving by and instantly called me to let me know that she was on her way to pick me up. She said they had the open sign and only one person was in there. We have been so excited to have a Vietnamese restaurant in town. Bend is cool and all but man, it is soooo white.

Back in the day the Wife took me to Pho (pronounced FUH like “Man, this is so FUH**ng good!“) in Portland on 82nd – the window on the door had recently been shot out. Classy place. I felt it was expensive Ramen. I complained that I could make the same thing with a ten cent bag of Top Ramen. I didn’t enjoy it. But over the last couple years I’ve had it a few times in Portland and found it delightful.

We went on Sunday and it was awesome. Fast service and great Pho. On Monday when it was SLAMMED we had some seriously bad service. Our waitress didn’t put our order in and it took forever. On Thursday I went without the Wife and it was fast and delicious. The Wife was pissed I went without her. And Friday night, another great visit. On Sunday, I had the lean brisket for $8.95.

Pho Viet - Pho with Brisket

Pho Viet - Pho with Brisket

Piping hot beef broth and super thinly sliced beef and compliment of bean sprouts, basil, jalapeños and lime. For you white breads out there, here’s how I doctor this sucker up. I shred up the basil and toss it in along with a couple slices of the jalapenos even though I don’t intend to actually eat the peppers.

Then I squirt in a little Siracha (hot sauce) and some of the stuff in the red bottle that looks like red chili flake sauce. I really don’t know what it is but its hot. The Wife adds in Hoisin sauce which makes the broth a little sweeter. Most people will throw in the bean sprouts but I don’t normally, I just want to get to the noodles and the beef and the sprouts get in my way. A little squirt of lime and its time to dive in.

Now that you have the goods in the bowl you have to use your chopsticks (or more likely a fork for you) to loosen up the stick noodles which will most likely be sort of stuck together at the bottom of the bowl.

Then its time to dig in. Get your face in there and slurp it up. You don’t have to be polite about it, slurp away, get after it.

Some people have told me that its not the best Pho that they have ever had and others have said the opposite. I really like it and am a big fan of soup in general. Pho Viet is solid and I’ll be a regular as long as its this good.

Phở Việt & Café Restaurant

1326 NE 3rd Street
Bend, Oregon 97701
541-382-2929
Open 7 days/ Week 9:00am – 9:00pm

Jen January 31, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Finally, something we agree on…

The Wotech crew will be there on Thursday, you and the wife should join us for lunch.

Just me February 1, 2011 at 12:40 am

Do they allow you to have the beef raw?

Seriously horrible customer service February 14, 2011 at 2:49 am

Told the guy, think he was the owner, that the soup was good but the chicken honey lemongrass dish was way too salty. He disagreed with me even took my plate to the next table and him and a woman worker took bites of my dish! Said it tasted just fine…I couldn’t believe he wanted to argue with me over a dish of chicken. It’s all just opinion. Well the fact here was he was very very rude and unprofessional. When I paid the bill he tried to charge me even more than how much a side of rice costs. Told me “since you ate my rice I charge $3.00” I told him the menu said $1.99 for a side of rice. I was willing to pay for what I ate. The chicken was horrible though. Paid my meal and handed back the visa slip. He then told me “don’t come back here again, I have right to refuse service to anyone”. CRAZY! I AM STILL IN SHOCK. Telling me never come back because I simply stated I thought the chicken was salty. Wow. Told him he had horrible customer service and that I wouldn’t come back anyways. Rude.

McDaniel March 13, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I think there is alot more to the story than you are telling.

Marianne Horrell April 2, 2011 at 10:50 pm

It’s possible it was too salty by American standards because, as my Vietnamese girlfriend tells me, Vietnamese dishes served with rice are generally salted more because diners are expected to eat it with the rice, and they can add as much rice to it as it takes to make the dish to their liking. Also, my friend said asking for a wedge of lime might also have doctored up the salinity.

I’m sorry you had that experience.

Al St. John April 16, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Over the past week, my wife and I have had two meals at Pho Viet Cafe. The first time, I noticed a strange flavor in my glass of water. Then on our second visit last evening (Friday 4-15-11), my wife noticed it, too—-not only in our water, but it even came through in the pho and curry dishes we ordered. Our best guess is an undercurrent of detergent residue. Possibly, their dishwashing machine is malfunctioning and not rinsing dishes adequately? Anyone else notice this at Pho Viet Cafe?

Al

Tamara Weaver April 24, 2011 at 7:50 pm

We have been many times and love the food and the service has been excellent. I didn’t go until it had been open a few weeks as I didn’t know about it. My favorite is the fish PHO! The broth is brewed by the owners for 10 hours and tastes like it. Today was Easter and it was so quiet that the owner was a little worried. Of all restaurants here – this is one I seriously need to survive! The lemongrass tofu and also chicken are also awesome.

Jim Weaver April 24, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Odd to read of experiences that are so different from mine. I have been there four times, once for the beef PHO, once for the fish PHO, and twice for the tofu dish. Each meal has been excellent, with the fish PHO being especially tasty. I highly recommend the place, and the number of people who have been there each time I’ve gone indicates others feel as positively as I feel.