Cuppa Yo – Bend Oregon

2010/08/16

Cuppa Yo

“Cuppa Yo is excited to be Bend’s premier, self-serve frozen yogurt shop!”

Let me start off by saying that I have nothing against Cuppa Yo and/or anyone who enjoys self-serve frozen yogurt. More power to the owners and their league of fans. The Wife absolutely loves going to Cuppa Yo and defends it when I go off on one of my Gin induced rants. Speaking of which, here you go:

I’ve said it on twitter and facebook a few times now and I’ll say it again here…IT IS JUST FROZEN YOGURT!! There is no reason to wait in lines out the door to fill up your own cup with as much frozen yogurt as you like, stand in another line (kind of the same line) to put on your own toppings, then stand in another line in order to pay. The lines actually seem to move quite quickly. On my one visit the line was out the door and it only took a few minutes to get my fro yo and pay.

The Wife is trying to sell me on all the flavors and talk up the place. She’s giving me combo ideas and toppings to go with it. She’s really trying to get me to give in and like it. I’ve been tough on Cuppa Yo since the first time I drove by and saw the crazy crowd in there. Back in the mid 80’s my dad owned a Frozen Yogurt place. Secretaries on their lunch break would power walk in with their head bands and leg warmers, take off their walkman headphones and get their fat free frozen yogurts and bop off back to the office. I remember pops laughing his ass off all the way to the bank. He’d giggle about how the cup cost him more than it cost to fill it.

Now I’m on the chump side of the counter paying $0.40 an ounce like its some sort of fat free crack deal. I look over the selection at the time: Alpine Vanilla, Cable Car Chocolate, Kiwi Strawberry Sorbet, No Sugar Added Strawberry, Red Velvet Cake, Irish Mint, Original Tart and Blueberry Acai Tart.

Reluctantly I take a cup thats bigger than it needs to be and say “ah, that’s how they get you”. I pull the lever and get some red velvet cake yogurt and vanilla being careful not to fill it up like they want you to. I sprinkle some heavy cheese cake cubes (that’s how they get you) over the red velvet side and heath / butterfinger crumbs over the vanilla.

The yogurt itself is not good, IN MY OPINION. To me it was watered down, flavorless, semi-frozen piles of a wannabe dessert. The toppings were great and to me, that’s where all the flavor is.

“But its fat free” you say in a sad defense. To which I say, yes, and it tastes fat free. That’s why you have to cover it with sugary, fat filled toppings like cheese cake and heath bar. And when you’re done topping it off, you have 200 calories from fat in your “fat free” cup.

“But you don’t have to put candy on it, you can put on cereal or fruit” you say stretching for anything that makes you feel good about your purchasing decisions. To which I say, why the hell would I want to do any of that? I’m fine with a scoop of ice cream. I’m fine with vanilla or chocolate. I don’t need a bunch of additional shit on it to be happy. Ice cream is good just by itself. I don’t put cereal or berries on my ice cream and its still delicious.

Now if I put butterfinger or heath bar in my ice cream, it is absolutely amazing!

So go on and enjoy your FroYo and be merry. That’s your decision. The Wife laughs at my craziness and she is going to keep on defending her love of Cuppa Yo while I keep on making fun of her and it. I hope all of you still reading don’t go all crazy on me.

On a final note, I finished all of my yogurt and toppings before we even made it back to the house. I had to as it was melting so fast. But the best part, a nice large drop of red velvet cake landed right in the middle of my freshly cleaned and pressed shirt. You won this round Cuppa Yo!

Cuppa Yo
937 NW Newport Avenue Suite 110
Bend, Oregon

Jen F August 16, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I like Fro Yo and you don't. I am smart and you are wrong. Maybe you burned out on it, eating at your Pop's shop? Who knows.

But I still love you. ๐Ÿ™‚

PS I thing some of the flavors taste "icy". So I don't get those. Maybe you just got the wrong flavor?

Jack Elliott August 16, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Shops like this are all over SoCal. They use some kind of powder mixes. The flavors are weak — I mean, try this test: have someone get a bunch of random fro yo without telling you what flavors they are labeled, taste and try to guess the flavors.

The toppings, esp., the fruit, are much more flavorful and taste "alive," whereas the yogurt, which should be teeming with all kind of probiotic critters, tastes flat and dead.

Someone needs to open up a shop using fresh ingredients. And stick in some sound insulation, too — those machines are really really noisy.

My $0.02, YMMV.

Anonymous August 16, 2010 at 11:18 pm

If you want to get fat, eat at Goody's. If you want a refreshing treat without all the guilt than Cuppa Yo is the perfect solution. Cuppa Yo uses Yocream which does not come in powder form rather real milk from real cows. I agree with Jen, she knows whats up!

Anonymous August 17, 2010 at 12:16 am

We can't we all just be stoked that a business came to Bend that is actually doing well for itself?

dining table August 17, 2010 at 7:05 am

I tried to make my own but I failed to do it right. I wanted to get the perfect taste but I don't think I can do it. I wish I live close to so that I can taste the perfect taste of it.

monkeyinabox August 18, 2010 at 4:59 pm

BOR – I agree, if I want something fat-free I'll eat rice cakes.

Back in the 80's the frozen yogurt places here were not fat-free and tasted much better. Oh Yogurt Bin, I miss you.

If you want the truly good stuff, seek out frozen custard. Of course I haven't found any on the West Coast.

Casey February 4, 2011 at 5:14 am

They actually have Custard Flavors…. Vanilla Custard and Creme Brule Custard.

Anonymous September 8, 2010 at 11:47 pm

They should sell beer. I don't know how they'll survive winter. I hope they've been saving their pennies for a long, cold, rainy day.

Anonymous September 12, 2010 at 7:05 pm

DiningTable – you seem to be hell bent on pursuing perfection. How about perfecting the art of literacy before you tackle the culinary arts?

The Wife October 4, 2010 at 4:25 pm

BOR – You Suck. Cuppa Yo is awesome. Awesome like Blossom in my book. That's why the Red Velvet Cake got you ๐Ÿ™‚

You realize that โ€œThe Wifeโ€ can't be eating ice cream and bacon all the time. My ass would be so big you'd have to lift me up with a crane.

Let me enjoy these little luxuries in life.

Melissa February 12, 2011 at 3:30 am

BOR – thanks for your honest feedback. Honestly, we read this when we first opened and weren’t sure how to respond. We were bummed you (and from what I read, others) weren’t satisfied with the quality of your yogurt. We had a great summer, and both the fall and winter have been good to us. During that time we’ve had some trial and error with our machines, working hard to eliminate the icy-ness and provide a creamier product. We think we’ve done enough tweaking of things that our product is superior to what we were offering this summer. Also, you may find you’ll have a better experience now that the machines aren’t being annihilated by thousands of people each day.

So, what do you say? Give us another try?

STV July 23, 2011 at 7:57 am

HAHA can I just say…most amusing post to date!