Del Taco – Bend Oregon

2009/08/25

Del Taco

A friend of mine was raving over the Del Taco Combo #6. I love cheap tacos. I’m not talking about real tacos with two corn tortillas and some carnitas, onion/cilantro mix and some cojita with a twist of lime. I’m talking about hard shell, ground beef, iceberg lettuce, and shredded cheddar. Quite a few years ago in another state I saw a sign that read “5 tacos for $1”. I dropped a five spot on the counter and said load me up. About an hour and a half later I had polished all 25 tacos off.

The Wife was out of town which means I get to binge on fast food that she’d never allow. Yup, that’s right, BOR is not allowed to eat fast food when the Wife is around. So with her temporarily out of the way, I thought I’d give Del Taco a shot. Until that point, I had never been into a Del Taco in my life.

I looked over the menu and decided to go with my friend’s recommendation of the Combo #6 – two tacos, cheese quesadilla, and a drink for $4.29. He actually said “get the number #6 with an extra taco or two” so I asked for an extra taco off the dollar menu. The cashier said that if I upgraded to the medium meal for only $0.49 it comes with another taco and bigger drink. Done.

The taco was everything I want out of a cheap ass taco and I was actually surprised that it tasted decent. Much better than Taco Bell. I tried the three different sauces available on the tacos, the mild, hot, and Del Inferno. Del Inferno was definitely my favorite and lots of it. Two packets per taco at least.

Now the cheese quesadilla was sad. It was super thin and oily not to mention the burnt bits of god knows what stuck to it. I make better cheese quesadillas in my microwave after an evening of drinking and watching Real Chance of Love with the Wife. She loves that shit!

After finishing my taco I contemplated getting a burger mainly out of curiosity. Why do they have hamburgers? I ended up deciding against it and just stared out the window at this little girl playing in a huge puddle in the parking lot. She was just sitting in it, fully dressed in jeans and a tshirt. No other friends or adults around and she was around 10 – 13 yrs old. Very odd. I think even the homeless people just outside my window chowing down on their Del Taco french fries were a little confused by the scene as well. Ahh SE Bend, keep on keepin it classy.

Del Taco

612 SE 3rd St
Bend, OR 97702-1755
(541) 322-8702

Julie D August 25, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Did you eat any of their fries? Their crinkle fries are the best, especially dipped in refried beans.

monkeyinabox August 25, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Awesome review. I sort of got burnt out on Del Taco's cheap Tuesdays, typically eating about 9 of those tacos. 😉

The burgers are actually pretty decent there as well (as far as fast food joints are concerned).

El Padre seems to think they are similar to the burgers of the deceased Babba & TJ's.

Keeneye August 26, 2009 at 5:37 am

Bah. The more sauce you need on a food item, the less flavor the actual item has.

Using two packets of INFERNO sauce on one measly taco — shoot — you might as well throw that sauce on that quesadilla and then call it gourmet.

I use this theory for sushi as well; the more shoyu and wasabi I need to dip the roll in, the less flavor the actual roll has.

And Monkey had to mention Babba & TGs (my memory was TGs, not TJs)… MAN they had good food.

Chillable August 26, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Del Taco fries rule!

Anonymous August 26, 2009 at 11:42 pm

If you think Del's tacos are good then you have never eaten the tacos from Taco Time. Next time you are alone for dinner give them a try. You won't be able to eat more that 4 I guarantee.

Anonymous August 27, 2009 at 9:30 am

Addicted to Del Taco! Get the spicy Jack Quesadilla next time. Much better. I agree with MonkeyInABox…. the burgers are actually good.

Anonymous August 27, 2009 at 11:14 pm

should of had a burger too. good or better than any other fast food place

Prineville Princess August 28, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Did you at least give the girl your burger?

Jake August 28, 2009 at 6:11 pm

I thought it was Babba's and TGs — I'm with Keeneye, but now Monkey's making me doubt myself. I ate there all the time when I was in high school. It looked just like the old Bob's Burger's that occupied that space before (same orange floors/tables), but they had good food.

kris September 1, 2009 at 1:16 am

Ah, BOR! You gourmet, you!

Aunt of 14 January 20, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I so much miss the Del Taco mild sauce… I wish they would bottle that thing up and sell it. There isn't ANY Del Taco's near me in WA. And I grew up in California on this stuff. I did not know there was one in Oregon!