Quick Lunch on the West side – Bend Oregon

2008/03/19

There is a new Taco Del Mar open on the West side next to Starbucks in the Safeway parking lot. I am very pleased to see another quick lunch option in that area. I find myself over on THE Westsieeede often and sometimes I need a quick bite before one of my important board meetings where I buy and sell things on the nasdaque jones. I’m a big time power lunch kinda guy.

That got me thinking of all the spots for a quick bite on the West side of Bend. West side being between Colorado and Newport and West of downtown.

Baldy’s is not super fast plus is it can be messy. You have to call ahead at Croutons if you want to eat lunch during lunch time. McDonalds is … well … McDonalds. Subway is ok but gets old really fast. Pizzicato lacks seating space in the winter months. Cascade Lodge is not very good. Longboard Louie’s is decent if you get in before the highschool punks flood the place. Cibelli’s is good if you don’t mind standing while you eat your monsterous slice as other patrons bump paste to get theirs. Parilla is aight, but it’s difficult to get a parking spot sometimes and doesn’t really fill you up. Mother’s is for the organic smoothy lovin hippy’s along with the quick wraps at Devours.

I actually love the wraps at Devours. A nice filling wrap for a few bucks and some kettle chips are some good eats, if you can only get into them. Seriously, they seal those things in about a ton of plastic wrap. Take it easy on the earth there hippy. A wrap from Devours followed by take out from Toomies and you’ve just made Al Gore shed a single tear.

So, where else can you get a quick bite on the West side?

UPDATE – Because of the great comments, I had to update the above post. I meant to say Pizzicato in the post instead of Pizza Mondo. I was going to mention the grocery stores but I don’t like any of them really. Props to Rays Liquor Store, that’s the best lunch in town!

I forgot that Hurricane’s has sandwiches, I’ll have to give them a try. The OHP isn’t quick enough to make the list in my opinion.

And I’ve never heard of Nancy P’s. Do they have food?

Jon March 18, 2008 at 11:43 pm

Pizzacato, the grocery stores (Newport Market, Ray’s, Safeway), Nancy P’s…?

Jen March 18, 2008 at 11:57 pm

Ummm… does the salad bar at Ray’s count? I like the deli in Newport Market. Hurricanes has good sandwiches and of course dessert.

And if you want breakfast for lunch… the Original Pancake House. Can you say “bacon”? I thought you could!

Keeneye March 19, 2008 at 12:00 am

Sandwiches made from scratch at the Newport Avenue Market. Delish!

Love the Caesar salads from Scanlon’s (sit in the bar).

Kelsey March 19, 2008 at 1:32 am

Nancy P’s is on the left side of Newport Market, it is kind of hidden behind another building. I love all of the goodies from Nancy P’s, although I have never tried one of their sandwiches before.

mizinformation March 19, 2008 at 3:15 am

looks like you didn’t have a great Kebaba experience, but I like their lunches–the tuna kebab sandwich is good stuff.

Anonymous March 19, 2008 at 3:47 am

Dude. Ray’s Deli. For reals.

Great sandwiches. Fine salads and soups. Super nice people.

Say it with me: Ray’s Deli.

Jennifer March 19, 2008 at 11:18 pm

Add another vote for Ray’s deli…

Sage Cafe is great, too, in NW Crossing.

Anonymous March 20, 2008 at 5:28 am

Seriously. I. cannot. believe. you’ve. never. been. to. Nancy P’s.

Their quiche is insane. Their sandwhiches (the tuna curry esp) is awesome… and all their baked goods are grubbin.

On second thought. Don’t cover Nancy Ps… it’s already hard enough to get a spot..

bitoboy August 5, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Not fill up at Parilla's? You kidding? Get the Jambalaya! My fave!