Best Breakfast in Bend Oregon – 2007

2008/01/02

Best Breakfast in Bend Oregon

Breakfast is not a big priority for me but when I do go out to eat, I want either a great omelet or some awesome biscuits and gravy. I know that many will say Victorian Cafe or Alpen Glow and I’m sure you have your reasons. I can agree that the Victorian Cafe is a great place to eat breakfast and they have a full bar. The price is fair for breakfast, drinks I found a bit high priced and on weekends, it’s going to be a wait.

Alpen Glow has great quality and freshness to their ingredients but the portions are small and the price is too high for me.

The huge portions, great food, little wait, and huge portions are some of the reasons that my favorite breakfast in Bend Oregon is Jake’s Diner.

Jake’s Diner
2210 NE Highway 20 (Behind the A&W and the East side Liquor Store)
Bend, OR 97701

Best Burrito in Bend Oregon
Best Lunch in Bend Oregon
Best Pizza in Bend Oregon
Best Phad Thai in Bend Oregon
Best Ribs in Bend Oregon

Anonymous January 2, 2008 at 3:13 pm

I would tend to agree with your lineup except for your breakfast. We come over to Bend from Eugene twice a year for a total of four weeks. We’ve been doing this for at least 15 years. We’ve notice in the past three years when we stop for breakfast at Victorian the service is lacking. Since we are not part of the “in” crowd our treatment is less than the wait peoples favorites treatment. However, at McKays and Westside Bakery the food and service is excellent. Jakes is great if you are with the guys but when you take your wife or girlfriend (or both) McKays or Westside make the cut. If only Baldy’s served breakfast, then we would have something.

Anonymous January 2, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Nope. Original Pancake House.
There just is NO BETTER BACON in Bend.

Um, I’m not sure if they serve anything else though. 🙂

Jake January 2, 2008 at 5:35 pm

I’m still a Westside Cafe and Breakfast Club kind of guy myself, but I certainly can’t argue with your pick on this, either.

mcoupe January 2, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Yup Jakes is awesome no doubt. But what about Pilot Buttes chicken fried steak? Has to be the best in town. I love Victorian, but I dont ever go their because of the wait.

Lyle January 3, 2008 at 2:30 am

To even be considered in one of your lists with the amount of options that Bend now has is truely an honor which makes being picked so much even moreso. Thank you so much.

I am very proud of the crew that I have (many of which came with me from the old place) and am always overwhelmed by the support that the community has given us that allowed us to survive those turbulent times.

I have been aware and am validated by some of the comments that we still have a long way to go to pull away from the “Truck Stop” stigma.

I realize this old building does not lend to great atmosphere so I try to create an atmosphere of comfort both with the food and with the service. That is why on the busiest of times, you will find both my wife, Judy, and myself working hand in hand with the crew to give you the best experience that we possibly can.

Anonymous January 8, 2008 at 4:37 am

Quality of food: Victorian, hands down. The place is small and will be a turn off for the not-yuppy crowd, but their food is just flat out better than anyone elses.

OPH is amazing, if not a little old fashioned, and Alpenglow is great too. We are blessed with a lot of great breakfast places in Bend, and it happens to be my favorite meal of the day by far 🙂

Anonymous April 25, 2008 at 6:41 pm

Helllloooo…Alpine Glow any time! Well, except after 9:00 on the weekends…the wait is too long!

Anonymous April 15, 2009 at 6:59 pm

No better breakfast than a table in the shade at McKay’s Cottage. Wonderful food and service.

Anonymous August 23, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Re: both Victorian Cafe and McKay's Cottage. Who the hell is in charge of the background music at these places? Last time I went to McKay's the LOUD background music was soft-rock hell: Phil Collins, Celine Dion. It made it well-nigh impossible to enjoy my breakfast. And last time at Victorian, the volume was REALLY loud and it was a live Kenny Loggins CD. Now, being a musician, I find it hard to ignore music I don't like. They need to turn it down, but I'm afraid to ask lest I get that breakfast special with a side of spit.

Anonymous July 19, 2010 at 3:14 pm

McKay Cottage hands down..great food and service could not be better. Alpenglow a close second.

Matt January 27, 2011 at 5:36 pm

All the places mentioned are good, but I can’t believe no one has mentioned Jacksons Corner. Not the biggest selection but their egg scrambles and their potatoes are AMAZING!