Mystery Steak

2007/05/30

How much would you pay for this steak dinner?

I think restaurants should tell you the prices of their specials. Sometimes specials are reduced priced specials and sometimes they are new menu items that the restaurant is trying out. I wish all specials were a special item with a special (reduced) price.

So I’d like to ask you faithful readers (and you groupies) to give your opinion on what this steak should cost. I’ll post the review of this restaurant later. The person who get’s the closest to the actual price will win a half filled out punch card to SOBA (it’s sad but that’s the best I can offer).

Anonymous May 30, 2007 at 4:24 pm

That steak should cost exactly $8.95.

Anonymous May 30, 2007 at 4:36 pm

That steak is $14.99, man that looks good, I wonder if they have tartar sauce….

dkgoodman May 30, 2007 at 4:37 pm

$23

Keeneye May 30, 2007 at 5:05 pm

They’re going to overcharge because of the prawn on top of the steak – so I say $27.95. Whitey says $32.99. Either way, it’s going to be too much.

I love this game. You should do it more often!

Kat May 30, 2007 at 5:15 pm

I’m with you. Specials should be a lower price. However, I learned a hard lesson once that that isn’t always the case.

And what’s with the one shrimp? Why even bother? For a “special” it should be $9.99, but it’s probably more like $29

Jen May 30, 2007 at 5:38 pm

Wow… that’s a lot of asparagus. I hope it was tasty!

Twenty bucks.

SnowBug May 30, 2007 at 6:24 pm

Let’s say it’s $9.99 at Shari’s or something similar. Or $24.95 if you buy it at a downtown restaurant. 😉

Plates look non-too-trendy, as does the countertop/tabletop.

Are you sure you didn’t make this at home to fool us? 🙂

Keeneye May 30, 2007 at 6:48 pm

I worked at one of Bend’s first upscale restaurants (back in the very early 90’s), for an owner that was meticulous for remembering names, occupations, what wine they had last time (even if it was five years prior)…

Anyway, he would tell us to purposefully say the “Specials” without prices, then tell us what to charge based on who the person was.

I once charged $16 for a Portabello Mushroom appetizer because the customer was a hot-shot attorney, when I had been charging $7 to the majority of people.

Jon May 30, 2007 at 8:57 pm

I’ll go with KeenEye and say $27.95. Or $28.95. Trying to place the restaurant, too, which would give a good hint… 🙂

Bend Oregon Restaurants May 30, 2007 at 9:25 pm

The range so far has been $8.95 to $32.99. This has been entertaining for sure. There are two “prawns” on top of the steak. They were rather small which is why it looks like one.

No one has guessed exactly right but one person is pretty close.

It is a restaurant Snowbuggy (LOVE your profile photo!), and if I give the name I think it will be too much of a hint.

The half filled SOBA punch card is still up in the air! HA!

monkeyinabox May 30, 2007 at 9:33 pm

$12.95

Karen B May 30, 2007 at 9:35 pm

The correct answer is $24.95. After all, tossing the shrimp on top makes it “surf and turf”.

Anonymous May 30, 2007 at 9:50 pm

Using my best Dr. Evil voice… One million dollars!

$24.99

Live on the Fly Studio May 31, 2007 at 3:34 am

That is one juicy lookin’ steak! But, since the potatoes are plain, there’s no squiggly of some kind of fancy schmancy sauce around the plate, and the asparagus aren’t tied together with a piece of prosciutto, I’ll say &8.95.

Jack Russell May 31, 2007 at 4:33 am

Resturant is probably Zydacco.

The steak I had was a ribeye and since I wasn’t paying, I would guess the entree was $24.95

John May 31, 2007 at 7:02 am

what i would pay and what it costs are two entirely different things. i’m going to go with 28.97.